Sunday, November 25, 2012

What are the birthright gifts that you bring to your lifework?


"Birthright gifts" are things innate to myself rather than imposed through family life.
Empathy is one. I sense other’s emotions and react to those instead of to the front they present. Sometimes I respond to emotions people don’t seem aware of. This naturally makes many people angry.
            Intelligence. Daughter said scornfully “When are you going to understand that you’re smarter than other people?” I do have a kind of academic intelligence. If only I had more people skills. 
            Self-insight. I am acutely aware of myself.
            Sense of self. Mother and Grandmother wanted to mold me into their shape, their idea of what a woman should be. But I knew that way to be false to myself. 
            Honesty. One of my birthright gifts is honesty – that certainly didn’t come from the family. But it is hallmark of what I am.
            Looking at this list, I see good things: empathy, intelligence, self-insight, sense of self, honesty. These are good things. Why, then, do I sign my name without a capital? am I innately humble (good) or innately arrogant (bad) and using the signature to counteract that? Duh! I’m innately humble. Maybe that jibes with intelligence. I can learn from anyone, from anything. I always find a way to learn. So add that one to my list.
            Humility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment